Last summer I had great fun making some gorgeous flower paper with the lovely Annie from Dragonfly Studio in Skye. If you look back to Project 9 you can see exactly how I made the paper, but basically we layered up flowers and leaves between sheets of good quality paper, tied them all together and left them to soak in a basin of water and vinegar for as long as possible.
The result was a wonderful selection of subtle coloured paper with the imprints of what we’d pressed. Certain foliage worked better than others, but I ended up with a good stash of paper for future projects.
At the time Annie had mentioned the possibility of sewing onto the paper, so I thought I’d have a go at that.
Once I’d chosen my paper, I looked through my embroidery thread collection and picked out a few complimentary colours that I thought would work well. There was a pale blueish tint to a couple of the flowers, along with browns and greens too, so I selected a few thread options and laid them on the table where I was working so that I could place them on the paper to see which ones worked best.
I knew I’d have to be really careful as the paper would rip easily, and the stitches would have to be fairly well spaced apart or a hole would form if the needle marks were too closer to each other.
The aim was to subtly enhance the shapes of the foliage by stitching along the out edges to highlight certain parts of the picture. You can see below that I used a selection of chain stitch, running stitch, whipped running stitch and blanket stitch.
All that I need now is to find a frame for the picture and it’ll be ready to hang.
For the moment though, it’s resting on the mantle place so I can keep looking at it in case I decide it needs a little more adding to it. The hardest part is definitely knowing when enough is enough!