For a while now I’d been looking for some curtains for the small window at the top of the stairs, but couldn’t find any I liked the look of. I didn’t have any large pieces of fabric in my stash either, so hit upon the idea of using my Liberty stash to make some patchwork curtains instead.
Once I’d measured the existing curtains, it really was just a case of sewing my stash fabric together until I had 2 pieces the right size. I started out thinking about which pieces to put with which, but I ended up going for a random design as there were just so many bits of fabric and I didn’t really have the room to lay them all out and experiment.
I made sure that I pressed all the hems open as I went along to make sure the curtains would lie flat.
Once the patchwork fabric was the right size for the curtains, I hemmed it and sewed some tape (which I had to buy) along the top.
It was then time to gather them to size, pop on the hooks and hey presto!
I wasn’t sure about whether to line the curtains or not, but I’ve got two large cotton sheets waiting in the wings in case they’re needed for the job 🙂