Well we’ve had a few promising days weather wise recently and it got me thinking about getting out on my bike again! I then remembered that I’d made a start on some rather lovely bike decorations that I’d discovered in this gorgeous book by Shara Ballard and published by David&Charles
The project I particularly liked was the bike spoke decoration and after a bit of digging around in boxes I managed to find the pieces that I’d already crocheted using 4ply cotton in a variety of different colours. The book provides patterns for some rather lovely shapes and I just had to make sure I’d made enough of each of them to complete the design.
Once I was happy with all the pieces I’d crocheted, it was a case of laying them out on the table and checking how they would fit together. It took a little experimenting to see what looked best where, but when I’d decided on the final positioning I had to sew them together – this was simply a case of a few stitches at the places where the pieces met.
To make the spoke decoration rigid and weather proof, it needed to be varnished, and acrylic varnish was recommended. I decided that I’d better do a proper job and bought some spray varnish which I thought would be ideal. I turned a tray upside down and placed a piece of clingfilm over it. I then laid the crocheted pieces on top before I started the varnishing – that way they wouldn’t all stick to the tray and I could turn them over once they were dry and do the other side. I soon discovered however that perhaps the spray varnish wasn’t the best option for use with cotton as I needed multiple coats before it was anywhere near rigid. In the end I reverted to my trusty pva/glue mixture which worked perfectly – typical!!
Once the spoke decoration was rigid and dry, it was time to fix it to the back wheel of my bike. To do this, I needed some plastic cable ties. These I got from Wickes for the princely sum of 99p! They were much longer than I needed, but it was an easy job to trim the ends once I’d fastened the decoration to the wheel spokes. I ended up using 8 ties in the end to make sure it was firmly in place.
All in all this was a really satisfying project. It’s been great to complete another of my WIPS (Works In Progress!) and I’m just waiting for the next sunny day now to get back out again on the bike. I may even have a go at a few more of the lovely projects in the book!