I must admit that I have a bit of a reputation in my family for occasionally losing things. Personally I prefer to think of it as putting things in safe places but then forgetting where those safe places are until way after I need whatever it is I’m looking for!
Anyway, I seemed to have misplaced the rather lovely silver brooch that came with a grey knitted hat I bought from Accessorize a few years ago, so when I came across a pack of brooch pins, I thought I’d have a go at making a replacement.
Having just finished a couple of crochet flower workshops, I thought flowers would be perfect for my new brooch, so set about digging in my yarn stash. In the end I decided on this gorgeous King Cole Curiosity Tweed leftover from a shawl I knitted a while ago. The full cake had lots of colours in it, but I was left with 2 here, so the obvious choice was to make one flower in the dark petrol blue shade, and one in the paler blue.
Some of my favourite flower patterns are from the wonderful Attic 24 website which has really comprehensive instructions with plenty of photographs to help you on your way. I opted for the pretty flowers that you can find in Lucy’s Jolly Chunky bag pattern (this was the bag that ended up being a bed for Coco the chihuahua back in Project 17!)
To end up with a 3d effect I wanted to lay one of the flowers on top of the other, so needed one to be smaller than the other. To achieve this, I simply used different sized hooks – a 4mm for the large flower and a 3mm for the smaller one and they came out really well.
Once I had my 2 flowers, it was time to layer them up and find just the right button to sew on. The button needs to be sewn through both flowers to secure them together.
When you’ve sewn the button on, there’s no need to cut the thread, just use it to sew on the brooch pin on the back, making sure it’s nice and secure.
And there you have it – one flower brooch all ready to pin on whatever you fancy. Now I just need to remember where I put my hat!