New Year – new phone cover!

My old felt cover

 

A while ago I made myself a felt phone cover which I loved.  I knew it wouldn’t be long however before the felt started to bobble as felt is wont to do, so I thought it was finally time to make a replacement.

We spent New Year in the Highlands and I wanted something nice and easy to knit while my lovely husband was driving us around.  A new phone cover seemed the perfect little project!

 

 

Because I’d be knitting whilst the car was moving, I didn’t want a fancy pattern that I’d have to keep checking as I knew it would make me travel sick, but neither did I want plain stocking stitch or garter stitch.  In the end I plumped for moss stitch which looked lovely in the tweed DK I was using.  It took a few attempts to work out the right number of stitches to cast on mind.  The only way was to actually knit up a few rows to see how wide it would be.  Once I’d settled on 22 stitches it was plain sailing!

 

I could have just made a pouch, but decided to add a flap with a buttonhole to keep my phone secure and stop it sliding out in my bag.  I also wanted to put a buttonhole in too, so once I was back home it was time to root through my stash to find a suitable lining fabric and button.

 

You could customise the flap depending on what size or shape you wanted it, but I knitted 4 rows straight before decreasing 1 stitch at each end of the next 7 rows, then casting off the remaining 8 stitches .  The size of the button I’d chosen meant that to make my buttonhole I cast off 2 stitches in the centre of the appropriate row, then cast on two stitches at the gap to complete the following row.

 

Once the knitted was complete, I set about making the lining.  The material I’d chosen wasn’t quite long enough, so I simply joined 2 pieces together with a 1.5cm seam.  The lining needs to be just a little bit narrower than the knitted cover and I simply folded the edges over, ironed them, then pinned the lining in place.  No need for any tacking.

 

Next you need to work your way all the way around the cover attaching the lining to the knitting with neat little slip stitches.  Keep making sure that you can’t see the stitching from the front – you don’t want to get all the way to the end and realise some of your sewing is on show!

Once the lining is secure you can complete the buttonhole.  With the front of the phone cover facing you, carefully pop some small, sharp scissors through the buttonhole to the lining below and make a small cut in the fabric.  Gradually increase the size of the slit to match the knitted buttonhole.  Make sure that the button fits snugly through the hole (whilst there will be some give in the knitted fabric, there won’t be any in the lining so you’ll need to make sure the fabric is cut to the right size).  You can then work blanket stitch all the way around the button hole making sure you catch the knitted cover and the lining.  The colour thread you chose is up to you – you could go for the same colour as the cover, or maybe chose a nice contrasting colour instead.

All that’s left at this point is to sew up the seams.  You can do this as decoratively as you wish really.  I chose to work my way all around the cover in blanket stitch (starting from the bottom left, I worked up the left hand side, all the way around the flap and down the right hand side).

I went for a subtle colour choice when it came to thread, but you could be as adventurous as you like.

And there you have it – one new phone cover made from scraps of yarn and fabric.   Fingers crossed this one lasts a bit longer than the last one!