Liberty Bag

Which ones to choose?!

Well, I’m ashamed to say that it’s not just wool that I seem to acquire, I’ve got a fair old stash of fabric too just waiting for the right project!

As well as larger pieces, I’ve accumulated a fair amount of smaller pieces, including lots of Liberty cotton, and decided the time was right to make a start on using them up!  Now that I’m back in the swing of regular crafting, I thought a project bag would be the ideal thing as it’s always handy to have somewhere to store current wips (that’s ‘works in progress’ for the uninitiated!)  Notice the use of the plural form there too – it’s universally acknowledged amongst crafters that you can never have too many projects on the go at any one time!

After a flick through my various sewing books, I decided to go for a simple lined drawstring bag and let the fabric be the star of the show.  Basically all you need to do is cut 2 rectangles of fabric, one slightly longer than the other (this piece will be the lining).  The extra length is used to fold over the front of the project to make the channel through which you’ll thread the ribbon or cord used to close the bag.    You fold each rectangle in half and hem around them both (making sure you leave a gap on either side at the top of the lining piece) pop the lining inside the main bag and fold the casing over to the front.  You can then thread your ribbon or cord through the opening on either side of the casing.

 

If you’d like to have a go yourself, just let me know and I’ll send you full instructions, or there’s a lovely tutorial here which will show you how to make a simple, unlined bag. 

The pattern I was following was taken from The Liberty Book of Simple Sewing.  In addition to the fabric, the pattern called for 2 metres of ribbon and 4 beads.  After an extensive root through my ribbon box I realised I would have to buy some as I had nothing long enough, but I managed to find some I liked for 60p a metre – so that’s another £1.20 of the budget gone 🙁   I did however discover some lovely wooden beads in my many bead jars that would be just perfect.  I cut the ribbon in half and, using a safety pin, I carefully threaded it through the casing.  Once I’d pulled the ribbon so the ends were the same length on both sides I went to thread the beads on, only to discover the hole in the beads was too narrow for the ribbon to pass through!  At this point I was determined not to spend any more money on the project, and keen to get it finished, so decided to simply make some ties from the same fabric as the lining, and sew them directly on to the ends of the ribbon instead.

Ta dah!

 

I’m really pleased with the result.

All I need now is another project to put inside it! 🙂