Monthly Archives: June 2019

52 Weeks Later …

If you’ve been following my blog you’ll know all about my 52 and Thrifty Too! project 🙂  If not, then all you need to know is that last year I set myself the challenge of making 52 projects in 52 weeks.  The idea was to try and use up items from my rather large stash of craft materials!  If I didn’t have something I needed, I gave myself a budget of £52 for any other bits and bobs as required, but that was to last me the whole year.

  

Well, I finally manged to complete the challenge!  It’s been a really interesting process and one I’ve thoroughly enjoyed.  Over the year I’ve tried my hand at different techniques and I’ve made a wide range of items including a pair of curtains, an apron from an old tea towel, a mobile featuring gift tags from my wedding, several wreaths, a French knitting mat, a Liberty project bag, some handmade paper and much more besides.

 

I was surprised by how much I already had that I could make use of, and when I totted up how much I’d spent it came to only £31.93 (which included buying a set of drawers and some paint) meaning that the average cost of each project was only 61p!

Every single one of the 52 projects is detailed in the blog so you can see exactly how I made them.  I hope you enjoy reading about them all and please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, or leave me a comment 🙂

 

I’m enjoying a few weeks off now but am already thinking about another project for later in the year.  Watch this space …

Painted Jars

I really do love a pretty tin or jar to keep my bits and pieces in!

 

 

My final project was nice and simple, which made it particularly satisfying.  All you need to do is to take a couple of jars, remove the lids and spray paint them.

 

 

 

Once the paint is dry, and using a glue gun, attach decorations to the lid.   You can get creative and customise your decorations depending on what you wanted to keep in your jars.  I used an old row counter for the little jar I’m going to keep my stitch markers in, and a crocheted flower for the jar I’m going to keep all my crocheted flowers in!!

What could be simpler!

 

 

Liberty Patchwork Curtains

 

For a while now I’d been looking for some curtains for the small window at the top of the stairs, but couldn’t find any I liked the look of.  I didn’t have any large pieces of fabric in my stash either, so hit upon the idea of using my Liberty stash to make some patchwork curtains instead.

 

 

 

Once I’d measured the existing curtains, it really was just a case of sewing my stash fabric together until I had 2 pieces the right size.  I started out thinking about which pieces to put with which, but I ended up going for a random design as there were just so many bits of fabric and I didn’t really have the room to lay them all out and experiment.

 

I made sure that I pressed all the hems open as I went along to make sure the curtains would lie flat.

 

 

 

Once the patchwork fabric was the right size for the curtains, I hemmed it and sewed some tape (which I had to buy) along the top.

 

 

 

 

 

It was then time to gather them to size, pop on the hooks and hey presto!

I wasn’t sure about whether to line the curtains or not, but I’ve got two large cotton sheets waiting in the wings in case they’re needed for the job 🙂