If you remember way back when I was preparing for my wedding last June, I wanted to make bunting from all of the lovely tags our guests had hung on the Wedding Wish Tree. Well, the months have passed and when I came to look at them all again the other day I realised that I’d already made 2 different lots of bunting for my Project 52 – one crochet and one sewn – so thought I’d try something different instead.
There were a couple of dozen tags to be displayed altogether, so I toyed with the idea of some kind of mobile. Hanging up some washing the next day I came across the 2 basic metal coat hangers that had held my husband’s wedding suit when it came back from the dry cleaners. Immediately I was transported back to my childhood and those fabulous advent candle mobiles that they always made on Blue Peter every year – do you know the ones I mean?
Well, that decided it. Using my jewellery tools, I cut off the hook from one of the coat hangers and managed to carefully untwist what was left of the top, before sliding it inside the other hanger, and twisting the remains of the top around the base of the other hook. Next I secured the twisted ends with sellotape, and also taped the part where the two hangers overlapped to make sure they would stay in place. I then used the pliers to carefully bend the remaining hook over into a loop so that I would be able to use it to hang the mobile. Hopefully the photos will help make sense of this process!
I wanted to cover the metal, so I had a dig around in my ribbon stash. I ended up with 2 different ribbons which I wrapped around the metal so that it was all covered. I was quite rough and ready doing this as I wanted a rustic look, so I didn’t mind the odd bump!
When I got to the end, a simple blob of glue held the two ends in place and I popped a peg on for a while until the glue had dried.
The tags themselves already had bits of lovely string on them so it was an easy job to loop them around the mobile. I spent a bit of time deciding which to put on each spoke of the mobile as there was a selection of different designs and I tried to spread them out evenly. Something was missing though, so I thought back to my wedding and honeymoon and came up with the idea of adding in some maps of the various places that we visited. I decided to go for 10 places altogether, making 5 double sided hearts (one to go on each of the corners and another in the centre).
To cut out the maps, I made a heart template from greaseproof paper that I could place onto my atlas to be certain I was including exactly the right places! I decided that in order for the hearts to hang well the paper maps would need to be attached to some fabric to give them a bit of stiffness, and I found some felt that I thought would be ideal. I didn’t have enough of the same colour so ended up with 3 different purples/pinks.
I had a little experiment sewing the paper hearts onto a scrap felt heart, but it was really difficult to keep the paper still as I was sewing, and obviously I couldn’t pin them in place as that would leave pin marks in the paper. In the end I sewed the paper hearts onto the larger pieces of felt and then cut out heart shapes around them and this worked much better!
Once the maps were sewn to the felt and the heart shapes cut (using pinking shears to give a pretty edging), I put 2 hearts back to back and sewed them together to make them double sided. Then it was just a case of adding ribbon to enable them to hang from the mobile. To do this I cut ribbon to the right length and hung it over the wire then hand sewed it to the heart.
To hang the mobile I found an old hook with a screw fixing.
I wandered the house looking for the best place to put it and settled on the bottom of the banister in the hallway. I’m really chuffed with the final result and get to walk past such lovely memories every day!